DEPARTMENT FOR WOMEN, CHILDREN, DISABLED & SENIOR CITIZENS
- From GOI Lr.No.1-8/2012-CD-I, Dt.22.10.12 Ministry of Women & Child Development, New Delhi.
- G.O.Ms.No.42, WDCW&DW Dept., dt.21/11/2008.
- G.O.Ms.No.2, WDCW&DW Dept., dt.07/01/2009.
- Govt.Memo.No.3462/ICDS-A1/2012, dt.04.02.2013.
- From Commissioner, WD & CW, Hyd Lr.No.505/k3/2013, dt.13.03.2013.
- In the ref 1st read above, the Government of India as part of “Strengthening and Restructuring of ICDS Scheme” has proposed a minimum six hours of working of Anganwadi Centres (AWCs) to provide different services such as health, nutrition and early learning to the children below 6 years, pregnant women, lactating mothers and adolescent girls.
- As per existing Government orders, the timings of Pre-School in Anganwadi Centres is from 9.00 am to 1.30 pm. In the ref.5th read above, the Commissioner, Women Development & Child Welfare Department, Hyderabad stated that there has been a demand from the parents to revise the schedule of Pre-School in Anganwadi Centres and extend it upto 4.00 pm as children could be taken care of till the time they return from work. From the data available in the State there has been reduction in the number of 3-6 years children enrolled in Anganwadi Centres in Pre-School and many parents are shifting their children to private schools as these function from 9.00 to 4.00 pm.
- The Commissioner, Women Development & Child Welfare Department, Hyderabad has stated that there is a need to extend the timings of Pre-School in the AWCs upto 4.00 pm for the following reasons:
- The need of working parents will be met due to extension of timing of Pre-School in Anganwadi Centres and they may send their children to Anganwadi Centres instead of private schools.
- Nutrition and early learning during 3-6 years of age in children is critical for further growth and development. This is the period during which habit formation and cognitive learning takes place and therefore there is need to strengthen the Pre-School activities and improve the enrollment in the AWCs.
- As part of “Strengthening and Restructuring of ICDS” the GOI is focusing on strengthening of Anganwadi Centres as “Vibrant ECD (Early Childhood Development) Centre” to become the first village outpost for health, nutrition and early learning. Accordingly cost of pre-school kits has also been enhanced from Rs.1,000/- to Rs.3,000/-. Further the cost of supplementary nutrition has been
- enhanced from Rs.4/- per child per day to Rs.6/- and now snacks and hot cooked food are being provided to children attending Pre-School which will fit in the pattern of extended hours.
- The Commissioner, Women Development & Child Welfare Department, Hyderabad has therefore stated that it is desirable to revise the timings of Pre-School in all the Anganwadi Centres in the State. However, due to increased hours of working, the wages for Anganwadi Workers & Anganwadi Helpers may be enhanced by Rs.500/- and Rs.250/- per month respectively. Hence, there will be an additional financial implication of Rs.75,68,07,000/- per year which may be provided under the Normal State Plan.
- The Government has examined the proposal of the Commissioner, Women Development & Child Welfare Department, Hyderabad and in modification of GOs cited, accords permission for extending the timings of Pre-School of Anganwadi Centres till 4.00 pm from November, 2013. The Government also enhances the honorarium of Anganwadi Workers & Anganwadi Helpers by Rs.500/- and Rs.250/- per pm respectively and thereby sanctions an additional budget of Rs.75,68,07,000/- per annum under Normal State Plan.
- The Commissioner, Women Development & Child Welfare Department, Hyderabad shall take necessary action in the matter accordingly.
- This has the approval of the Finance Department